Is it useful that GPS-tracks become accessible for all of us?

For me it's not a necessity and I think it's fine as it is but maybe someone has a different opinion and thinks it's more fair or usefull when tracks are free to download?
Why not? I've nothing to hide and if someone wants to see my tracks, be my guest. Goldmember feature?
Hi Geert,

This is on our to do list but it there are some technical limitations. In our record ranking, it's a lot easier to do as the number of tracks that will be posted are a lot less. Ideally in future all tracks will be shown in the open. I will forward the question to Dylan to see if he finds time to explain a little further.

Best regards,
Ok, so probably a storage issue as i can't imagine what other limitation there would be.

Do you guys own a rootserver or something like that? Or are you using some shared-hosting services? (please tell me you don't ;-)) These days relative cheap (and good) solutions are possible. I'm always available for a brainstormsession if you guys are interested.
(Another day, and another topic on another forum.
But however: )

I did not shared my thought in the other forums, but here is my point of view.

All tracks should be available for the RTK. ( for now) If they ask for it you have to send the track for evaluation. 
If you think that your track has some sensitive information: Don't post your track, and only use it for yourself.
If you post your track, you are in the open! And everybody should have the possiblity to see your track.
My thought:
If it would be possible to upload your track to the site everytime: Yes!
Is it useful? Yes!

I think that 90 % of the people who are posting the sessions, are not record surfers. ( Including me) So we can learn from the other 10 %.
If the track could be in the open for the 90 %, it think this would be a upgrade for the site and the avarage speed will go up for the 90 % of posters.

With best regard,

Christiaan van Gilst


It's running on my server.
Colocated hosting, I do the maintenance myself.
AMD Opteron 2212 dualcore
RAID disks

There's room for another CPU and a lot of unused memory slots.
160 GB free disk space.
Hi Onno,

Then what are the technical limitations for storing all the tracks and make them available to everyone (or maybe juist the goldmembers)? Seems a perfect feature to increase the number of goldmembers ;-)
there are severall reason why we don't store tracks:

Server traffic on peek hours:
- on a busy day at least 200 people upload theire 2 mb track in only several hour timespan.
- at that same time slot a lot of people visit the site to se what other guys did at that day.
- at the same time some people will already download the tracks for investigation.

This will cause the webserver requests and probably the server to become unresponsive and than some people start complaining that the site is getting slow....

- the server is collocated, but with limited traffic per month. If we allow people to post and download tracks the data transfer costs will increase enormously. So technically no limitation here but a cost limitation.

Record tracks
- Records tracks need to be uploaded and can be downloaded by everybody. We will see how this is going.

hope this will clarify some things. We seriousluy looked into it when buidling the site, but decided not to because of the above reasons.

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for the response. I can imagine costs are an important thing at the moment. Although I hope that experiencing with downloading the record tracks will eventually lead to the downloading all tracks (incl. funclass).

Uploading of the trackfiles is already possible for everyone so this already generates traffic (maybe a lot of people don't use this feature right now). You could enable this download feature on a later time just for goldmembers and limit the number of downloads per day per user.

The current possibility to e-mail the tracks is based on e-mail and sent via and to an other server, so the traffic is offloaded to an other server. But the link between the website and the sent tracks is lost, the track sent option is used for the timekeepers to check tracks and backup tracks in case something happens.

But we will see how it goes when the record tracks are uploaded and mamby this will open some possibilities.
I agree 100 percent with Christiann. Most of us are never going to be in the top rankings. It is more of a learning process, every little bit of information we can pick up from those who are really talented will benefit those of us want to improve our speeds. Show all tracks.
Just a tought, compressing the track will reduce it's size to 30% or less, and a standard feature for uploading tracks would be a nice feature in for example GPS Results, selecting of the track, and compressing it must be an easy feature to add to this program. So, access to all tracks would be a nice additional feauture for gold-members....
Platinum Supporter